ART AS A WAY STATEMENT OF PURPOSE, VISION AND MISSION
Art As A Way is an organization that is working to enrich the lives of people with disabilities through participatory art.
We envision the use of studio and workshop-based environments as settings to strengthen both the skills of life and community-based connections for students who have been diagnosed with disabilities.
Art As A Way studio/workshop – Enhancing life skills through art with special people with different needs.
The mission of Art As A Way studio and workshop is to use art as a way to explore human potential as they work to provide experiences that enhance the quality of participant’s lived experience; all the while generating community-based interconnectivity and support (through art and collaboration). We provide the training and skill-building needed for the creation of art for youth and adults who have developmental and physical challenges. We also enhance the life skills necessary for full participation in everyday life, like decision making, problem solving, critical thinking, goal setting and interpersonal skills.
The vision is to help each individual reach their greatest artistic potential, encourage growth, integrate with the community and open pathways to employment through the creative process
Our goal is to provide art instruction and skill building, which is based on student interest and capabilities, with workshop classes and open studio time. We want to offer a variety of vocational and mentorship opportunities, as well, with a focus on individual passions. We also have unique lines of products made in studio and sold at the local Farmers markets and other events and venues, so we can fully integrate the artist’s unique talents by building positive relationships with in the community with the understanding that communication through art makes understanding universal and promotes a belief in the creative contributions of people of all abilities.
ART AS A WAY HAS SEVERAL STATED GOALS:
- To provide art-based instruction and skill-building opportunities, based on each student’s areas of interest, through workshop-based classes and flexible studio time;
- To help each student realize their artistic potential;
- To help each student integrate within their community in innovative ways;
- To open pathways to employment through the creative process;
- To enhance feelings of self-efficacy by providing students with opportunities to sell the art that they create at local Farmer’s markets and through other venues;
- To offer vocational and mentorship opportunities to our students by pairing them with community members who have professional experience in their common areas of interest.